11/17/13

Folded Book Art

 


I've seen variations on folded books or origami books and love the look of them. Anytime you can recycle books and enjoy them in new ways, I'm a fan! And as a librarian, I have access to books ready to be transformed before they hit the dumpster.



These are not particularly sophisticated, but they are simple and fun. These folds are super basic. I folded one page at a time rather than two's or three's. That gave them lots of fullness. I found out that you really need a book with a lot of pages or you won't achieve the full 180 degree shape. Use a bone folder for sharp creases and to save your fingertips (and avoid paper cuts).



When I was done with my folding, I sifted through my paper supply to find new endpapers to match my decor. I found these exquisite handmade waxed and printed papers in red, orange and mustard. I used a glue stick to add them to the inside covers, then filed the edges smooth.


I didn't find any information on mounting books, so I made up my own way. I cut a piece of black foam core slightly smaller than my open book size (trace around the book and cut with a craft knife).


Before you glue the book to the foam core, make a hanger. I punched holes side by side in the foam core with an awl. Then I wrapped some wire around through front and back a couple of times and twisted to close. That gave me wire hanger. I glued the books to the foam core with clear craft glue and then to make them even more secure, I punched an awl through the cover and the foam core under the pages where it couldn't be seen. I made two holes on the front cover and two on the back. I ran more wire around front and back to tie the book to the foam core.


Happy folding!

5 comments:

  1. Okay post. You have a knowledgable review on the subject and I will be subscribing to your feed and will hope you shall write again soon on similar subjects. But I was curious on what your sources for the post are? Thanks a lot

    Best Cardsharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to try making this, where could I find information on how to do it? Love It!

    Sincerely, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you Google "book origami" or "book folding" you'll find a variety of ideas. I love the book The Repurposed Library by Lisa Occhipinti--your library may have it. http://amzn.to/17oz9lL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just returned from the Art of the Carolinas about a week ago, and this is one of the little mini-workshops that they taught! It is so simple, but such a beautiful way to recycle all of those paperbacks that seem to collect dust on the shelf. I have completed one stand alone piece, just not sure where to go with it. Thinking about gilding the edges.....not sure....just having fun with available resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really Cool...It is like a small wall sculpture!

    ReplyDelete